Nothing is more embarrassing than putting on a black suit only to discover some whitish flakes over your shoulders. Dandruff is one of the most common conditions of the hair and scalp.
Most health practitioners think that dandruff can be a result of other health problems, particularly problems from the digestive system, and that it is necessary to take care of the underlying problem first before treating dandruff effectively. In this article, we are going to look at some ways dandruff can be checked by dietary and natural ways.
There are natural ways you can treat dandruff, and these natural cures can be highly effective. Dietary changes, vitamin supplements and combination of topical treatments can help treat dandruff problems and stop them from coming back.
Those liable to dandruff should desist from fried foods and lower their consumption of fats, sugars, chocolate, dairy products, seafood and peanuts. Also, consumption of green leafy vegetables and raw foods should be increased.
Vitamins & Nutritional Supplements
Biotin is used for treating dandruff. Biotin is a water soluble member of the vitamin B group, and it assists in the breaking down of fats, carbohydrates and proteins. A good dosage of biotin for treating dandruff is 3000 mcg two times a day. In addition to biotin supplements, foods that contain biotin include brewer’s yeast, nutritional yeast, nuts, whole grains, egg yolks, liver, sardines, cauliflower, mushrooms and bananas.
Other nutritional supplements that can also be used in the prevention and treatment of dandruff conditions include:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B complex vitamins, particularly vitamin B1 and B2
- Omega fatty acids, particularly omega-6
Flaxseed oil is widely used to reduce dandruff. These oils should be applied to the scalp every night before going top to bed and then washed off in the morning. These oils can aid in soothing and nourish the scalp. An old sheet or a towel should be used to protect the pillow from stains.
You can purchase flaxseed oil in tablet form which could be easier for some people and it is generally believe that one teaspoon of the flaxseed oil is about three capsules. You can find this oil in almost every health food stores.
In conclusion, dandruff can be treated and it should never be left untreated. If you do not treat it, it can get worse and in most cases, hair loss has been known to occur. If you have probably tried to get rid of dandruff with everything out on the market, it would be advisable to consult a doctor.
You would also be given a proper diagnosis and effective treatments would be suggested for you.
Dandruff is a common scalp condition characterized by white flakes and itching. This condition is equally common in both men and women and while embarrassing, can be treated easily using natural cures and home remedies. Here are some natural and herbal treatments to get rid off dandruff effectively.
Natural Treatment for Dandruff – Warm Oil Head Massages
Dryness of the scalp and poor circulation are possible causes of dandruff and therefore, hot or warm oil head massages can work wonders. Warm some olive oil or coconut oil mixed with lemon juice and massage it into the scalp. Leave on for 20 minutes or so before brushing out the flakes and then shampoo.
Get Rid Off Dandruff by Shampooing Correctly
According to The Doctors Book of Home Remedies II, using a mild anti-dandruff shampoo and shampooing hair daily can reduce oily secretions and hence, reduce greasy dandruff. The book also recommends using a tar-based shampoo for greasy, “chunky” dandruff. If dandruff is dry and flaky, shampoo twice or thrice a week and let the shampoo stay on for a good five minutes before rinsing off.
Herbal Treatments to Cure Dandruff
Since dandruff is often caused by poor circulation to the scalp, it is possible to increase nutrition and circulation to the scalp by using herbs and herbal treatments. According to The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Herbal Remedies, “A great combination of herbs to feed the skin, hair and nails includes dulse, horsetail, sage and rosemary.” Other herbs that also increase circulation and strength of skin, hair and nails are gingko bilboa and silicon-rich herbs such as alfalfa and oatstraw.
Joey Green recommends making a solution of two heaping teaspoons of thyme in a cup of water and boiling it for a good ten minutes. Cool the solution and then, pour it over clean, damp hair. Let the solution dry in the hair. Thyme is believed to kill bacteria and reduce flakiness of the scalp.
For good hair without dandruff, drink at least 2 liter water. Combs must be washed and hair should be brushed regularly. Dandruff is a scalp condition that can be controlled by following home remedies:
- The use of fenugreek (methi) seeds is one such remedy. Two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds should be soaked overnight in water. The softened seeds should be ground into a fine paste in the morning. This paste should be applied all over the scalp and left for half an hour. The hair should then be washed thoroughly with soap nut solution or shikakai.
- The use of a teaspoon of fresh lime juice for the last rinse, while washing the hair, is another useful remedy. This not only leaves the hair glowing but also removes stickiness and prevents dandruff.
- A valuable prescription for removal of dandruff is the use of green gram powder. The hair should be washed twice a week with two tablespoons of this powder mixed with half a cup of curd.
- Beets have been found useful in dandruff. Both tops and roots should be boiled in water and this water should be massaged into the scalp with the finger tips every night White beet is better for this purpose.
- The juice of snake gourd has been found beneficial in the prevention and treatment of dandruff. The juice should be rubbed over the scalp for this purpose.
- Dandruff can be removed by massaging the hair for half an hour with curd which has been kept in the open for three days, or with a few drops of lime juice mixed with amla juice every night, before going to bed.
- Grind raw onions to fine paste. Rub this paste into your scalp. Leave it on for an half hour. Wash thoroughly. Rub in some lemon juice into your scalp and hair to rid your self of the onion smell.This will helps to get rid of dandruff.
Dandruff prevention tips
- The foremost consideration in the treatment of this disorder is to keep the hair and scalp clean so as to minimize the accumulation of dead cells. The hair should be brushed daily to improve the circulation and remove any flakiness.
- Exposure of the head to the rays of the sun ai also useful measures in the treatment of dandruff.
- The scalp should be thoroughly massaged everyday, using one’s finger tips and working systematically over the head.
Diet plays an significant role in the treatment of dandruff. To begin with, the patient should resort to an all-fruit diet for about five days and take three meals a day of ripe and fresh fruits.
Keep away from citrus fruits, bananas, tinned fruits
Citrus fruits, bananas, dried, stewed, or tinned fruits must not be taken.
After the all-fruit diet, the patient can slowly adopt a well-balanced diet, with emphasis on raw foods, particularly fresh fruits and vegetables. Additional short periods of an all-fruit diet for three days or so may be essential at monthly intervals till the skin’s condition improves.
Stay away from strong tea/coffee, pickles, refined and processed foods
Meats, sugar, white flour, strong tea or coffee, condiments, pickles, refined and processed foods must all be avoided.
Symptoms of Dandruff
Following are the major dandruff symptoms:
1. Falling of scales from the scalp
3. Red scalp due to infection
Causes of Dandruff
Following are the major dandruff causes:
1. Faulty life style
2. Bad metabolism
3. Unhygienic hair condition
4. Synthetic hair shampoos
5. Improper maintenance of hairs
6. Due to Stress and tensions
7. Poor blood circulation in the scalp region
8. Using common hair brushes and combs
9. Indigestion and constipation