Dandruff is a condition in which flaking of scalp (skin of head) occurs which falls like snow flakes commonly seen on shoulders and face. Dandruff is a infectious condition caused by bacteria and fungus. It leads to the excessive scales formation of the skin accompanied by itching. As it is an infectious condition hence it can spread through direct and indirect contact like sharing towels, combs etc.
Dandruff is of two types:
Waxy dandruff – it occurs the epidermis scales which is mixed with the sebum that stick to the scalp in the form of patches.
Dry dandruff – in this, small white flakes of scalp falls or may get attached to the skin of head.
- Hot stream bath especially on the scalp is highly beneficial.
- Massage of warm olive or sesame oil and then wrap a warm cloth or a towel on head for few minutes is very helpful in getting rid of dandruff.
- For getting rid of dandruff apply peel of lime immersed in coconut milk or oil heated naturally by leaving it in sunshine for ten days.
- Apply hot olive oil or sesame oil on the scalp at bed time. Now an hour prior to the bathing rub lime juice mixed with the cosmetic vinegar on the scalp. Wash and rinse your hairs properly. For the last rinse use lime juice and warm water. Follow this process for about 3 months twice a week. This will surely help in relieving from dandruff.
- Massage the scalp with almond and olive oil for five minutes, leave it for some time and then rinse off to get the dandruff free hairs.
- Final rinsing of hairs with the cider vinegar after applying a herbal shampoo also relieves from dandruff.
- Applying two table spoon of cosmetic vinegar and six table spoon of hot water on the scalp with the help of cotton swab and leave it over night. After that wash it with herbal or a mild baby shampoo.
- Giving sufficient exposure of sun to the scalp is another important method of getting rid of dandruff
- Applying gently warm coconut oil mixed with one hundredth of black pepper is very good remedy for treating dandruff.
- Beet root crushed in henna paste is good in preventing dandruff and hair fall when applied on head.
- Beet root juice mixed with cider vinegar and ginger juice is very helpful in treating dandruff.
- Juice of snake gourd is very effective treatment in curing dandruff when rubbed gently on the scalp.
- Fenugreek seeds are soaked in water and let undisturbed overnight. Now these seeds are grinded and applied on scalp gently. Leave it for 45 minutes. Then rinse off with the help of shikakai or ritha.
- Massaging hairs with curd mixed with lime juice and amla (Indian goose berry) before going to bed is a good method of relieving from situations of hair fall and dandruff.
- Washing hairs with powder of green gram is also good to prevent dandruff.
- Last rinse with the lime juice is beneficial for hair fall an dandruff condition.
- Avoid using red meat, sweets, strong coffees and teas, candies, aerated drinks like Pepsi and coke, pickles and spices.
- One should be very particular about the diet and should stress on food stuff like fresh fruits, vegetables, sprouted seeds, raw nuts and cereals.
- Massaging of pure apple juice and thrice the quantity of warm water is good treatment of fading away dandruff.