Dandruff is a common type of scalp irritation. usually referring to the state of the skin in which shiny, silvery scales tear off from the scalp and gather amidst the hair.
According to health experts, the condition appears to be caused by a yeast-like fungus called malassezia, also known as pityrosporum. The malassezia fungus is normally found on the scalp without causing problems.
However, if it grows unchecked, possibly due to factors like hormonal imbalance, stress, immune suppression, infrequent shampooing, illness, or increased oil production, a mild inflammation is seen that produces dead skin cells. This condition can become quite disconcerting and worrisome when the skin gets infected.
The most common dandruff symptoms include white, oily-looking flakes of dead skin in the hair and on the shoulders, as well as an itchy, scaling scalp. The scalp can also be either excessively dry or oily. According to some health experts, the main causes of dandruff are impairment of general health, the development of a toxic condition that could be due to taking the wrong types of food, low resistance due to infections and constipation.
Natural And Herbal remedies For Dandruff
- Olive Oil and Almond Oil. Mix some of these equally and massage into your scalp. Let stand for 5 minutes, then rinse after.
- Ginger. Mix ginger root and olive oil, and apply these to the scalp before shampooing. If the condition is extremely bad, put the mixture on 10-15 minutes before shampooing.
- Rosemary Rub. Mix rosemary oil or a mixture of olive oil and crushed rosemary. Leave this into the scalp for 15 minutes.
- Tea Tree Oil. This natural ingredient has been noted to be useful in the treatment of dandruff.
- Fenugreek Seeds. Fenugreek seeds are one of the most essential treatments for conditions like dandruff. Two tablespoons of these seeds need to be soaked overnight in water and ground into a fine paste in the morning. This paste should be applied all over the scalp and left for about partially an hour.
- Lime. Use a teaspoon of fresh lime juice for the last rinse, while washing the hair, is another helpful remedy. This not only leaves the hair shining but also removes stickiness and prevents dandruff.
- Green Gram Powder. The hair must be washed with this herb at least two times a week with two tablespoons of the powder mixed with half a cup of curd.
Health experts also note that diet plays a major factor in the effective treatment of dandruff. For starters, an individual who suffers from this condition, should resort to an all-fruit diet for about five days and take three meals a day of ripe and fresh fruits, and possibly keep away from citrus fruits, bananas and tinned fruits.
After the all-fruit diet, the patient can slowly adopt a well-balanced diet, with emphasis on raw foods, especially fresh fruits and vegetables. In addition, an individual needs to keep off from strong teas or coffee, pickles, as well as refined and processed foods.